Monday, July 20, 2009

Vegan French Toast

Yeah, mos-def. Well, I'm not sure if that rapper/actor (or actor/rapper?) is a fan or not, but this is 'mos-def' the 'shiz-nat' of 'french toast'.... That last quotation probably was not needed, but... A homie has to keep it realz, right? Especially when a minority - like being vegan.

So, my vegan recipe actually is fairly close to most normal french toast recipes... the only thing you do differently is use flour & nutritional yeast in place of eggs; they help thicken the milk so that it stick to the bread. Oh, and the other big thing I've realized is that a very dense bread is best. I use a non-gluten, spelt bread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt) -- (Some day I'll learn to link more kewl-ly and do that all proper-like, but.. it still serves a purpose, at this point.) A lot of health-food stores offer it in frozen-form.

So, to make vegan french toast, just take a bowl, or square-shaped tupperware (I dunno, I just use this 'cuz it's square and serves my purpose - I used to use a 9" pie plate, but it was too large and wasted ingredz) and do this:

(oh, again... I don't measure, so I'm just trying to approximate)
2 tbl cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
3 tbl flour
2 tbl nuitritional yeast
3 tbl sugar

mix up the dry ingredients, then add the wet:

about 1 cup soy milk
2 tsp vanilla

get yerself a whisk and... well, whisk it up. Make sure the flour gets beyond the 'chunkiness' that it so enjoys.

Dip the bread (Maybe longer than is usual for a "traditional" french toast) and fry up in some soy butter - Like earth balance-brand (super tasty)!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I almost forgot -- You want to use your best non-stick pan for this. This shit sticks like a... oh, what's a good metaphor... uhm... pollen on a bee? Geh. Well, whatever. Just use something useful, you'll understand once you start.

    ReplyDelete